News From The Middle
NEWS FROM THE MIDDLE
January 11, 2017
Do you Tweet? Are you on Facebook? Check us out on both Facebook and Twitter. We update with exciting things daily!!
- January 13: End of 1st Semester
- January 16: No School/In-Service
- January 20: JA in a day
- February 9: Parent/Teacher conference
Winter Weather Letter:
Please see our “Connect” page for a letter about Winter Weather from Mr. Holbeck
From the Nurse:
Refer to the HEALTH page under General Health Information for “Temporary Exclusion from School Setting Guidelines” for illnesses/medical conditions
High School Customized Learning Forums:
Parents of 8th Grade South Students:
January 19 and February 7 from 5:45-7:00 in the new addition to the high school(west entrance and parking lot). Anyone is invited, but in particular if your son or daughter is an eighth grader, you will be making a decision to enroll in customized learning(CL) or a traditional program the week of Feb. 13-17. Please attend to aid in this important and upcoming decision.
Junior Achievement Volunteers:
Would you like to assist teenagers in understanding the business world? Here is a great opportunity!! Want to be a teacher for a day!! Friday, January 20th is Harrisburg North and South’s annual JA in a Day! JA in a Day is a one day event, where the entire school has Junior Achievement. As a volunteer you would use pre-developed curriculum to teach students about work readiness, entrepreneurship, and/or financial literacy. Even though the curriculum is developed for you, there are many opportunities for you to share your own personal life and business experiences. JA is still in need of 11 volunteers for these events at North and South Middle School. If you are interested, please contact Kelli at the JA office for more information firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-7318.
Here are links to the curriculum:
Harrisburg Baseball Association (HBA):
GO TO www.harrisburgtigersbaseball.com
Registration opens January 1st for the following HBA programs:
(Travel/tournament baseball opportunities available for those interested)
Summer 2017. For more information: Contact John Ratzloff, Executive Director
Phone: 605.261.1324; Email: email@example.com
Just a reminder if your student is going to be absent or late for school, to call the school office at 605.743.2567 option 4-1 before 9:00AM daily. If your student is going to be out for an extended period of time and/or you would like classwork for the day, please let the office know about attendance and contact your students advisory teacher for missing work.
New Learner System:
Learners at South Middle School this year will be utilizing a learning management system called Buzz. Please click here to read more on how to access the parent side of Buzz.
Parking Lot Drop Off/Pick Up Loop Safety:
- When entering our school to drop off or pick-up students, please use the South entrance. Drive forward through the loop and use the North exit. (see map below)
- The front loop of our parking lot is for drive-through and pick-up/drop off only. It is a tow away zone since it is our Fire Lane to be used in the event of an emergency. NO cars should be left unattended or parked in this zone for any reason and for any amount of time. If you need to park, please use the designated “Guest” parking or the regular lot.
- When dropping off or picking up students, please use the RIGHT HAND LANE ONLY, and expect students to use the doors on the right side of the vehicle. In this manner, it is less likely for students to have to walk in front of a waiting car. Please DO NOT PARK IN THE CROSSWALK, it makes especially dangerous for students and staff to cross the lane.
- When using the drop off/pick-up lane in the afternoon, please pull forward to where the bus parking starts by the library (see “X” on map below). Please do not block the handicap spaces or visitor parking if someone is parked in a space.
- Thank you for all your help and cooperation to keep everyone safe and still allow for everyone to get to school on time.
From the Counselor:
BackPack Program: HSMS is partnering with Feeding South Dakota again for the Backpack Program. This program provides food to children throughout the 2016-2017 school year. The program is designed to help students who have limited food in their home over the weekend. Backpacks include food for snacks and even small meals. Please contact Betsy Atwood to sign up for this program.
Are you signed up for Parent Portal? If not, please see the form on our “Connect” page and return it to the front office or contact Jean Hudson at ext. 3010 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the “Connect” tab on the South Middle School website for more information on various things going on at HSMS and our community.
- Parent Portal
- Standards Based Learning
- Avera December Newsletter
- Peanut Policy